History of The Mennonite
The current The Mennonite began publication on Feb. 17, 1998, as a merger of Gospel Herald (1908 - 1998) of the Mennonite church and the former The Mennonite (1885 - 1998) of the General Conference Mennonite Church. Delegates of both groups approved this merger in 1997 as a first step in the integration of the two denominations.
The founding editor was J. Lorne Peachey, Scottdale, Pa., formerly editor of Gospel Herald. Joining him as associate editor for features was Gordon Houser, editor of the former The Mennonite. Other staff members for the first issues were Rich Preheim, news; Marla Cole, marketing; Melanie Mueller, advertising and copyediting; and Dotty Anderson, secretary. Judith Rempel Smucker, Akron, Pa., designed the publication and served as the design consultant for the first two years. Merrill Miller, Scottdale, Pa., became The Mennonite’s designer in 2000 and was key in the major design revision that was launched in early 2002 to coincide with the official beginning of Mennonite Church USA.
Everett J. Thomas, Goshen, Ind., became editor in November 2000.