Miriam Martin, conference minister, dies at 64by Mennonite Weekly Review and Anna Groff
EAST EARL, Pa.—Miriam Martin, vice chair for The Mennonite, Inc. board, and conference minister and administrator of Mennonite Church USA’s Atlantic Coast Conference, died July 3 after a brief illness. She was 64.
“Miriam was a friend and mentor to many [people] across [Atlantic Coast Conference], churchwide and within her community,” wrote Warren Tyson, conference ministry team leader, in a statement sent to churches.
Martin and her husband, Bob, “provided a home and friendship” for many people in times of need, according to Tyson.
Martin, a member of Ridgeview Mennonite Church in Gordonville, Pa., had worked in conference ministries for 16 years. In 2003, she became conference minister and in 2005 was named Atlantic Coast’s missional church development coordinator.
She served on the team that helped carry out the merger that formed Mennonite Church USA. She also served on the General Board of the former Mennonite Church.
A 1966 graduate of Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, Va., she served on the Mennonite Church USA Constituency Leaders Council and on the Lancaster (Pa.) Mennonite School board.
Martin is survived by her husband, Bob; a daughter, Sonia Straley of Ephrata, Pa.; two sons, Robert of Boyertown, Pa., and Jeffrey of Findlay, Ohio; a brother, Marvin Meyers of Willow Street, Pa.; a sister, Ethel Kolb of Myerstown, Pa.; and nine grandchildren.
A memorial service was held July 21 at Ridgeview Mennonite Church. Nelson Yoder, associate pastor at Ridgeview Mennonite, said approximately 350 people attended the service. Letters from church agencies, church leaders and people who worked with Martin were read during the service.
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- MennoMeet.com launches for singles
- Miriam Martin, conference minister, dies at 64
- Conference pursues greener gatherings
- Philhaven CEO announces resignation
- CMU top in sustainable commuting
- Boulder Church gives back part of JoinHands gift
- Greensburg Mennonite celebration postponed
- EMM’s Global Fair draws record crowd
- Vietnamese conference meets in Virginia
- Eight CPT trainees arrested during mock trial
- Miller named editor of OurFaith
- False religious systems
- How we support the war
- The legacy of CPS
- The legacy of CPS II
- And on earth peace
- Missional and Mennonite
- Missional and Mennonite II
- Mennonites and the Roman Catholic Church