Mennonite Men give $40,000 to Miami churchby Gordon Houser
NEWTON, Kan.—Mennonite Men board members Royce Roth and José Hernandez presented a JoinHands Church Building grant on Dec. 16, 2007, in the amount of $40,000 to Church of God Prince of Peace, a Haitian Mennonite congregation in Miami. Schowalter Foundation provided $5,000 of the grant as well as additional money to help with materials for renovations, which will be done as part of a partnership between Mennonite Disaster Service and MM.
Church of God Prince of Peace began in 1997. In 2002, members purchased an abandoned Pizza Hut and converted it into a church building. The congregation applied for a JoinHands Church Building grant and were approved to receive $35,000 to assist in much-needed renovations. The building is strategically located in the Haitian community and provides much-needed parking space.
Hilaire Louis Jean, pastor of Church of God Prince of Peace, says the church “has grown dramatically.” Sunday morning attendance is about 250. He adds: “As our membership grows we have new challenges. Many of our members face immigration problems and are unemployed. As a result our budget projections have increased. We need funding to renovate and expand our building and provide resources to families who are in need. But with God all things are possible.”—Gordon Houser
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- BREAKING NEWS: The Mennonite will publish OurFaith Digest
- No additional discipline for bishop
- The Mennonite is now 10 years old; first issue was dated Feb. 17, 1998
- Chicago Mennonite school suspends operation
- John Powell shares his black history
- Science center at Bethel wins design award
- Pastors in Zimbabwe risk lives in protest
- Mennonite Men give $40,000 to Miami church
- Mennonite educators explore discipleship
- Seattle Mennonite helps count of homeless
- MWC Assembly 15 theme chosen
- Executive Board to strengthen vision
- Wedding expenses in Babylon
- Younger generations want certainties
- No one follows Scripture all the time
- Why publish Obama photograph?
- Mennonite but not Anabaptist
- Mennonite but not Anabaptist II
- Chad Mason responds
- What about other school costs?