No conservative voicesby Larry Umble, Richland, Pa.
My wife, Margaret, and I are informing you that we do not want to renew our subscription to The Mennonite. Each issue seems to have something we find troubling. Not the least is the March 18 issue containing the article written by Everett Thomas suggesting that God desires to worship human beings. Such a statement is both heretical and blasphemous.
The publications over the years have increasingly promoted liberal theological viewpoints to such an extent that one gets the impression an agenda is being pushed on readers. I can’t recall the last time a conservative theological voice was expressed. It is troubling when basic Scriptural beliefs are undermined, and absolute truth is questioned. One can hardly take comfort that the views represented in The Mennonite may not be the views of mainstream Mennonite churches. If The Mennonite is really the “official publication of Mennonite Church USA,” then our denomination appears to be going down the slippery slope of relative truth and the postmodern stance of toleration where anything goes.
The radical Anabaptists of the 16th century in their quest for truth sought to take Scripture seriously and follow the paths of Jesus. One is hard pressed to find the same today.
Associated Issue: Agnus Dei: Lamb of God - March 18, 2008
Associated Article: Agnus Dei: Lamb of God
- Can we embrace both peace and evangelism?
- Confessional evangelism
- Christ and the new atheism
- Gamaliel's God
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- CNN interviews Goshen College students
- CLC responds to Executive Board action
- MC USA proposal affects The Mennonite
- Women in ministry trajectories continue
- Women encouraged to name brokenness, move to healing
- International celebration at Hesston College
- New support for conference ministers
- Partnership launches Spanish-language ezine
- Easter Sunday baptism in Jordan River
- Lanzamiento conjunto de revista electrónica en español
- Israeili settlers attack Palestinian children
- Puerto Rico Mennonites seek funds for office
- Day of prayer and action for Colombia
- Zimbabwe’s post-election future uncertain
- Entonces, ¿Qué es M.E.A. y H.P.L.E.?
- Jóven, ¿Qué quieres para tu vida?
- ¿Sabía usted que…
- Reflexión Pastoral - 2ª Parte
- Encuentro Anual 2008
- Human Smoke, following Jesus, science
- Some young adults stay, some go
- Not proud but pleased, grateful and glad
- And no tribe of Joseph