Except you see as a child
Poemby Leona Dueck Penner
With the toss of a black lace shawl,
a doll wrapped in a bit of blue blanket
and a half-empty laundry basket,
my granddaughter, at 6,
transforms our basement into Bethlehem.
She instructs me to play a plodding,
slightly dimwitted Joseph while
her older sister flies in for several brief
(but striking) appearances
as an angel
and one of Herod’s soldiers hunting
Dramatic scenes that cause the young director
to forget her own lines as the play becomes real
before her awestruck eyes.
Later, when I ask if the newborn Jesus
is doing OK now, she says confidently
(while gently patting his holy blanketed back):
"Of course! he’s the son of God!
And he's grown a lot.
He's asleep right now, dreaming of
fields full of flowers.
I know because that’s what I prayed for."
Leona Dueck Penner is a member of Charleswood Mennonite Church in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- God is with us and vice versa?
- Christmas economics
- The things that make for peace
- Except you see as a child
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- SOOPers and staff lend a hand for harvest
- The Mennonite now a 64-page monthly with new departments
- NEWS DIGESTS - Dec. 15
- Top 10 stories in 2009
- Special grant helped 300 families during recession
- Bethel offers scholarship to Mennonite high school grads
- Counterinsurgency force reaps peace
- Marriages and Births
- Guests visit Hans Herr House through Christmas candlelight tour
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de enero, 2010!
- Meno Acontecer, versión para imprimir
- Educación Menonita
- La iglesia se beneficia con IBA
- Sitios Hispanos Menonitas en el Internet ...
- De las iglesias: Manantial de Vida
- Estudiantes del SBA Dallas visitan AMBS
- Reflexiones Pastorales - 9ª Parte
- De nuestros lectores y colaboradores - DIOS SALUD Y SANIDAD
- No easy way out
- Let our money and time make a difference
- Film and book reviews for December
- Don't waste a crisis
- All are called to save the drowning
- Map was confusing
- May need protection at churches
- Another way for young adults to get counsel
- A challenge for 2011 youth convention
- Listen to pastors from immigrant congregations
- Embrace and value many voices
- Firing volleys to silence others
- Opinions versus facts