Bethel offers scholarship to Mennonite high school gradsby Everett J. Thomas
Bethel College, North Newton, Kan., announced on Dec. 8, 2009 that it will guarantee $40,000 in institutional scholarships over four years for any graduate of a Mennonite high school.
Qualifying student must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 and an ACT score of 19 or SAT score of 890 to qualify for the Mennonite Heritage Scholarship.
"This scholarship is a way to serve individuals," said Bethel's interim president John Sheriff on Dec. 10, 2009, "to build the church—since graduates of Mennonites colleges are among those most loyal to the church—and to strengthen the college in its mission. We make this major scholarship available to all [Mennonite high school students] ... not just those with very high grade point averages and ACT scores."
Bethel has not normally attracted many Mennonite high school students, whereas a school like Goshen (Ind.) College has 20 percent of its student body from Mennonite high schools.
"We're trying to attract students who have not normally come here because there are no Mennonite high schools nearby," said Todd Moore, vice-president for admissions, on Dec. 10.
Although Bethel has had some students from Mennonite high schools, most Mennonite high schools are in the East and distant from Bethel.
"We've had some great students from Mennonite high schools and hope to get more," Moore said.
None of the other Mennonite Church USA four-year colleges and universities have a similar scholarship; none are currently planning to create a one.
- God is with us and vice versa?
- Christmas economics
- The things that make for peace
- Except you see as a child
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- SOOPers and staff lend a hand for harvest
- The Mennonite now a 64-page monthly with new departments
- NEWS DIGESTS - Dec. 15
- Top 10 stories in 2009
- Special grant helped 300 families during recession
- Bethel offers scholarship to Mennonite high school grads
- Counterinsurgency force reaps peace
- Marriages and Births
- Guests visit Hans Herr House through Christmas candlelight tour
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de enero, 2010!
- Meno Acontecer, versión para imprimir
- Educación Menonita
- La iglesia se beneficia con IBA
- Sitios Hispanos Menonitas en el Internet ...
- De las iglesias: Manantial de Vida
- Estudiantes del SBA Dallas visitan AMBS
- Reflexiones Pastorales - 9ª Parte
- De nuestros lectores y colaboradores - DIOS SALUD Y SANIDAD
- No easy way out
- Let our money and time make a difference
- Film and book reviews for December
- Don't waste a crisis
- All are called to save the drowning
- Map was confusing
- May need protection at churches
- Another way for young adults to get counsel
- A challenge for 2011 youth convention
- Listen to pastors from immigrant congregations
- Embrace and value many voices
- Firing volleys to silence others
- Opinions versus facts