Former Bluffton president Neufeld dies at 83by Gordon Houser
BLUFFTON, Ohio—Elmer Neufeld, 83, a former president of Bluffton University, died March 30 at Mennonite Memorial Home in Bluffton.
Neufeld was president of then Bluffton College from 1978 to 1996. Earlier he taught philosophy and served as an academic dean at the college.
He earned a bachelor’s degree in 1951 from Bethel College, North Newton, Kan., and a doctorate in philosophy at the University of Chicago.
He worked for the National Service Board for Religious Objectors. He and LaVera, his wife, were active members of Woodlawn Mennonite Church and took a special interest in inter-racial relations.
He worked with the Mennonite Central Committee in Akron, Pa., and later in Leopoldville, Congo, where he served as country director.
Neufeld served as president of the General Conference Mennonite Church and with the Commission on Overseas Mission, Congo Inland Mission/Africa Inter-Mennonite Mission, Higher Education Council, National Youth Advocacy Program and Habitat for Humanity.
He is survived by LaVera in Bluffton; children Carolyn and Jerry Huffman, Pandora, Ohio; Cynthia and Roger Neufeld Smith, Topeka, Kan.; Timothy and Kristin Neufeld, Goshen, Ind.; Iris Neufeld and Eric Basinger, Findlay, Ohio; and Francene and Greg Marrin, Columbus, Ohio; six grandchildren and siblings Adolf and Wanda Neufeld, Herb and Lilly Ann Neufeld, Helen and Vern Jantz, and Robert and Rosalie Neufeld.
- Green shoots rising in a resurrection garden
- Easter in Baghdad
- Once for all
- Let morning come
- WEB EXCLUSIVE: A stranger hugged me
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- Erland Waltner, pioneer of GC-MC integration, dies
- Open letter calls for 'radical hospitality'
- WEB EXCLUSIVE: In the fighting spirit
- Bethel must reduce budget by $1 million
- Mennonite Mission Network to reduce spending
- CLC proposes new Leaders Forum
- Details of The Corinthian Plan released
- Chicago Dwell unit focuses on advocacy
- MC Canada fiscal year ends with deficit
- New leaders for denominational ministry
- MWC representatives report increased interest of youth
- Former Bluffton president Neufeld dies at 83
- Indy church breaks ground for church addition
- AARM changes name to Resource Partners
- Lancaster Mennonite High senior dies after car accident
- Community shapes us
- Easter chaos
- MLK and the struggle for a better world
- The mystery of resurrection
- The Corinthian Plan
- The Corinthian Plan II
- The Corinthian Plan III
- Keith Harder responds to The Corinthian Plan letters
- Intentional communities
- Payback for Paraguayan Mennonites
- Former Ten Thousand Villages store explains
- Appalled by column on adoption
- Reverse church growth?
- Why end The Shack debate?
- Why publish the names of givers?