Lancaster Mennonite High senior dies after car accidentby Cindy Stauffer, Lancaster New Era
Micah Berthold had just watched the NCAA basketball playoffs at a friend's house very early on April 7 when he was involved in a car accident that ultimately claimed his life.
The 18-year-old senior at Lancaster (Pa.) Mennonite High School died April 8.
"He was a well-rounded young man," Lancaster Mennonite High School Principal Miles Yoder said. "He was very popular with his peers and everyone here at school."
"It's a very hard situation for us all," said Yoder from the high school, where counselors and pastors were helping students to cope with the teen's death.
A special chapel service was held April 9 at the school, where students could reflect on Berthold and his life, Yoder said.
Berthold was the son of Josef and Brenda Berthold of Lancaster. His father is the pastor of West End Mennonite Fellowship in Lancaster. He was the brother of Dominik, a sophomore at Mennonite High, and Jeremy, a sixth-grader at Lancaster Mennonite Middle School.
The teen was headed from a friend's house, where he watched the game, to another friend's house, where he planned to spend the night, when the accident happened, the principal said.
The two-vehicle crash occurred just after midnight Tuesday on Route 41 in Highland Township in Chester County, about five miles east of Lancaster County.
According to police, Berthold was driving a Volkswagen Jetta when it collided with a GMC sport utility vehicle.
State police said the Jetta was traveling south and veered into the northbound lane, striking the SUV.
The SUV overturned and became engulfed in flames. Its driver, David Prange, got out and suffered minor injuries.
Berthold died April 8 at Lancaster General Hospital, of multiple traumatic injuries suffered in the accident, Lancaster County Coroner Stephen Diamantoni said.
Read on the Lancaster New Era
- Green shoots rising in a resurrection garden
- Easter in Baghdad
- Once for all
- Let morning come
- WEB EXCLUSIVE: A stranger hugged me
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- Erland Waltner, pioneer of GC-MC integration, dies
- Open letter calls for 'radical hospitality'
- WEB EXCLUSIVE: In the fighting spirit
- Bethel must reduce budget by $1 million
- Mennonite Mission Network to reduce spending
- CLC proposes new Leaders Forum
- Details of The Corinthian Plan released
- Chicago Dwell unit focuses on advocacy
- MC Canada fiscal year ends with deficit
- New leaders for denominational ministry
- MWC representatives report increased interest of youth
- Former Bluffton president Neufeld dies at 83
- Indy church breaks ground for church addition
- AARM changes name to Resource Partners
- Lancaster Mennonite High senior dies after car accident
- Community shapes us
- Easter chaos
- MLK and the struggle for a better world
- The mystery of resurrection
- The Corinthian Plan
- The Corinthian Plan II
- The Corinthian Plan III
- Keith Harder responds to The Corinthian Plan letters
- Intentional communities
- Payback for Paraguayan Mennonites
- Former Ten Thousand Villages store explains
- Appalled by column on adoption
- Reverse church growth?
- Why end The Shack debate?
- Why publish the names of givers?