The Corinthian Plan IIIby Ronald Hunsicker, Lititz, Pa.
The March 3 issue contains numerous articles and vignettes that build the case for The Corinthian Plan and the proposal to provide health-care coverage for all our pastors. As stated in the articles, this plan is an outgrowth of a commitment made by Mennonite Church USA at the 2007 San José assembly. While this approach has a lot of positives, a great deal has happened in our country since July 2007. I suspect that within our congregations a much higher number of people now do not have health care as opposed to 2007. We simply cannot only focus on one aspect of this issue.
At the same time, the articles are long on emotions and short on details. How does this approach actually work to lower the overall cost of health care? What are the minimum levels of care that are going to be provided? Does this approach treat mental health diagnoses and addiction diagnosis on par with other diagnoses in the plan?
We have an opportunity to truly present a health-care reform model. I urge our leaders to think outside of the box and make sure we are putting together a plan that can be a model for universal coverage. We will only have one attempt at this.
Associated Issue: A fair balance - March 3, 2009
Associated Article: Blessed insurance
- Green shoots rising in a resurrection garden
- Easter in Baghdad
- Once for all
- Let morning come
- WEB EXCLUSIVE: A stranger hugged me
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- Erland Waltner, pioneer of GC-MC integration, dies
- Open letter calls for 'radical hospitality'
- WEB EXCLUSIVE: In the fighting spirit
- Bethel must reduce budget by $1 million
- Mennonite Mission Network to reduce spending
- CLC proposes new Leaders Forum
- Details of The Corinthian Plan released
- Chicago Dwell unit focuses on advocacy
- MC Canada fiscal year ends with deficit
- New leaders for denominational ministry
- MWC representatives report increased interest of youth
- Former Bluffton president Neufeld dies at 83
- Indy church breaks ground for church addition
- AARM changes name to Resource Partners
- Lancaster Mennonite High senior dies after car accident
- Community shapes us
- Easter chaos
- MLK and the struggle for a better world
- The mystery of resurrection
- The Corinthian Plan
- The Corinthian Plan II
- The Corinthian Plan III
- Keith Harder responds to The Corinthian Plan letters
- Intentional communities
- Payback for Paraguayan Mennonites
- Former Ten Thousand Villages store explains
- Appalled by column on adoption
- Reverse church growth?
- Why end The Shack debate?
- Why publish the names of givers?