Hyattsville church denied ACC membership
Six congregations have changed area conference membership since 2002.by Everett J. Thomas
In early 2009, Hyattsville (Md.) Mennonite Church applied for membership in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). In November 2009, they learned that Atlantic Coast Conference leaders decided not to proceed further with their transfer request at this time.
"ACC said they would like to have Allegheny Mennonite Conference and Hyattsville resolve their differences first before considering ACC membership," Hyattsville pastor Cynthia Lapp said on Dec. 11, 2009. "We were disappointed; I don’t know that we were surprised. We're not unaware how difficult it is, even in the broader Christian church, to talk about [human sexuality] issues."
Hyattsville has been under discipline from Allegheny Conference since November 2005. The discipline centers around Hyattsville's membership guidelines, which embrace members in monogamous, same-sex relationships.
"Being under discipline means 'no vote' at conference or Mennonite Church USA [Delegate Assembly], and our members cannot hold office," said Lapp, who also expressed hope about renewed conversations.
"There's a new model of collaboration between Allegheny Conference, ACC and Mennonite Church USA," Lapp said, "which I think is great. Before, it was just Allegheny Conference and Hyattsville."
Since the beginning of Mennonite Church USA in 2002, six congregations have changed membership from one conference to another. These include, in alphabetical order:
• Atlanta Mennonite Fellowship changed from Southeast Mennonite Conference to Central District Conference
• Blossom Hill Mennonite Church, Lancaster, Pa., changed from Lancaster Mennonite Conference to Atlantic Coast Conference
• Chestnut Ridge Mennonite Church, Orrville, Ohio, changed from Virginia Mennonite Conference to Ohio Mennonite Conference
• First Mennonite Church of Berne, Ind., changed from Central District Conference to Ohio Mennonite Conference
• North Side Mennonite, Hagerstown, Md., changed from Atlantic Coast Conference to Franklin Mennonite Conference
• Shalom Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, Va., changed from Virginia Mennonite Conference to Central District Conference
Hyattsville Mennonite Church becomes the first Mennonite Church USA congregation to have its formal application denied when asking to change its membership from one area conference to another.
- Our new executive director
- Mutual impact
- Far from home
- Twists and turns
- Five reasons for Mennonite education
- Five ways to help Mennonite education
- Celebrating Sabbath in a busy world
- How affluenza affects the church
- Poem: At either end of the web
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- From classroom, students converse with mission workers in Kosovo and Colombia
- Goshen College will play national anthem before sporting events
- If Obama's right, MLK was wrong
- Compassion more widespread than violence in Haiti
- Haiti updates from Franconia Conference
- MCC responding to Haiti earthquake, welcomes donations
- MCC staff on the ground, waiting for larger relief efforts to begin
- Mennonite work team and MCC staff safe in Haiti
- Mennonites agonize over Bolivian rape victims
- Mennonite Brethren Olympian on coin
- Hyattsville church denied ACC membership
- Peter J. Dyck leaves legacy of service
- Anglo Anabaptist congregations in the cities are growing
- Greensboro massacre survivors confront pain
- SOOPers, staff lend a hand for harvest
- Mother of MVSers says empty nest matured family
- Scholarship for Mennonite high school graduates
- MDS fixes forgotten homes
- Interview with Mennonite World Conference's leader
- Forgiveness in the Balkans
- Living in a world of war and injustice
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de febrero, 2010!
- Meno Acontecer, para imprimir
- Domingo de la Educación Menonita
- IBA entrena tutores en Miami
- Haití en la mira
- Violaciones de derechos ¡Alerta!
- Una meditación bíblica
- Reflexiones Pastorales - 10ª Parte
- De nuestros lectores y colaboradores ... SUFRIMIENTO PSICOSOMATICO
- Sitios Hispanos Menonitas en el internet - Abril
- Extremists for love and justice
- Continuing education
- Turning the page
- January reviews
- Faith and fiction in Dostoevsky
- We can make music
- Blemished lambs at the altar
- Places of transformation
- Where faith and culture intersect
- How to read the Bible
- Between 'scholarly' and 'personal'
- Newest members will lead us
- Dismayed at listing of names
- Don't waste a crisis
- Great choice for cover