$10.40 for peace
Tax resistance campaign launchesby Anna Groff
What can underpaying $10.40 from a federal income tax return accomplish? A lot, according to John Stoner of "1040 for Peace: Move America Toward Peace."
1040 for Peace is a symbolic tax resistance campaign. "The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step," he said on Oct. 22.
Through this campaign, Stoner and a core group of five other individuals in Lancaster, Pa., invite other U.S. taxpayers to join them in opposing U.S. military spending when they file their federal income tax returns (Forms 1040) and underpay $10.40 each year.
The movement calls participants to then redirect the $10.40, or a similar amount, to peaceful purposes, for example the Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fund Bill.
Stoner says the group hears some concern from individuals about the possible penalties and "heavy hand of the IRS coming down."
Stoner's response is threefold. First, "As disciples of Jesus, we shouldn't have so much fear," he says. Second, the past experiences of individuals who have withheld taxes for similar reasons have been minimal. Third, the tax withholder can decide later to pay the full amount.
"The most important thing is to make that statement that calls for democratic conversation about how federal money is spent," Stoner said.
Others say this movement should take more risks and that U.S. war spending remains too large. However, if enough people join, the risks and penalties would increase, Stoner said.
The website 1040forpeace.org offers sample letters for individuals to rewrite and send to the IRS when they withhold the $10.40. One letter written by Harold Penner of Akron, Pa., states: "I am not opposed to paying taxes. I willingly pay that portion of my tax liability that goes toward peace-oriented systems and supports life. But I am a religious conscientious objector to the death and destruction that the military apparatus represents and am compelled as a disciple of Jesus to take this action."
The campaign welcomes leaders to start local chapters.
Shane Claiborne has endorsed the movement and made the following statement on the website, "I'm very excited to be part of 1040 for Peace. Glad to be plotting goodness and stirring up holy mischief with you."
"He's quite committed," said Stoner.
Claiborne will speak at a public meeting at the Lancaster Church of the Brethren at 7 p.m. on Jan. 4. "Another way of Doing Life" will be the subject of his presentation. The meeting is sponsored by the Taxes for Peace Interest Group of the Lancaster Interchurch Peace Witness and by 1040 for Peace.
- Why we pay attention to Jesus
- A different way to possess land
- O little town of Bethlehem
- Humility, humus and humor
- Young adult story collectors
- The most meaningful time of life
- It matters who tells the story
- A day for justice
- The light of the world
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- Remembering Glen Lapp
- Executive Board "leaning toward" Phoenix
- Christmas counterpoint on the far side of the world
- A Veterans Day lesson for this third-grader
- $10.40 for peace
- Mennonite racial/ethnic leaders to meet in January
- One hundred things lighter
- Three Sister Care seminars draw 122
- Belarus immigrant dies
- MCC service workers invest in their communities
- Third Lausanne gathering nets Capetown Commitment
- An introduction to Pittsburgh, site of Convention 2011
- Training leaders brings celebration and challenges
- MC Canada promotes peace through bus ads
- Two Palestinians killed, four families homeless
- The Mennonite's 2011 Photo Contest
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de Diciembre, 2010!
- Educación menonita Diciembre
- Seminario Bíblico Anabautista Hispano - Diciembre
- SeBAH firma convenio
- IMH Junta General
- Conferencia de UCIM
- Arca de Salvación Fort Myers
- Boda en Fort Myers
- Búsqueda Pastoral en Canadá
- Casa Publicadora y Tercer Camino se unen
- De la Junta Ejecutiva de Mennonite Church USA
- El CCM GL busca Director Ejecutivo
- ¿Pittsburg 2011? ¡Allí vamos!
- Sección de Reflexiones pastorales: Del pastor Andrés Gallardo
- Del Pastor Samuel Morán: 12ª Parte
- Del doctor Nuñez
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de enero, 2011!
- ¡Perspectiva Diferente!
- Consulta de MEA origina nueva colaboración
- Material de Escuela Dominical para adultos
- Una lección inesperada
- Instructivo del CCM sobre Reclutamiento
- De las Iglesias Menonitas área del CIMH
- Proceso de discernimiento
- ¿Pittsburgh, Pa., 2011? ¡Allí vamos!!!
- Hilos que Sanan: Una historia de Colombia ...
- Reflexión del pastor Andrés Gallardo ... VENCIENDO EL RECHAZO
- Del doctor Nuñez - Enero
- What child is this?
- Lessons from the teachers in my life
- First things first: The first share of the crops
- Mysteries of the flesh
- Therapy junkies in the shadows
- The American religious experience
- The future, here and now
- December reviews
- Why do women say no?
Births and Marriages
- Doubts about merger
- Don't blame the victims
- Death is part of life
- Racists in reverse
- Arizona law and Phoenix convention
- Consumerism and immigration
- Appreciated the poem