Could join a Baptist churchby Melissa Bixler, Manassas, Va.
Thank you for publishing the research on Anglo Anabaptist congregations (News Analysis, January). I am an adult convert to the Mennonite tradition who first became a member at Portland Mennonite Church, one of the churches mentioned in the article.
When my husband, daughter and I moved to Virginia, one of the major factors that made us not choose to attend the closest Mennonite church was the congregation’s irresolute stance on pacifism. We reasoned that if we had wanted to join a church whose distinctive features were anti-alcohol or anti-gay marriage, we could have joined the Baptist church. For us, what makes the Mennonite tradition unique is its commitment to peacemaking, an ethic that extends to vulnerability, dialogue and shared leadership.
We continue to affirm our membership with Portland Mennonite and look forward to joining a Mennonite Church USA congregation that fully affirms the historic Mennonite faith convictions.
Associated Issue: New director begins - January 2010
Associated Article: Anglo Anabaptist congregations in the cities are growing
- The push and pull of faith
- Supper club, Keith Wilson and the twigs of grace
- Young adults: We stand amazed in their presence
- Suffering in the dark night
- Meditating on the run
- An Ethiopian Mennonite shares the pulpit
- Revealing prayers
- Praying for my kids
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- Mennonite health care providers and 'Googlies'
- News update: Franconia Conference dismisses staff
- Michael King named new dean of EMS
- Conference affirms teachings on sexuality
- Executive Board considers conflict needs
- WEB EXCLUSIVE: I am making peace with the national anthem
- What it takes to be an 'environmental wacko'
- MC USA consultant suggests sweeping changes
- Mennonite educators encouraged to help students 'step out of boat'
- Chinese church grows tenfold after earthquake
- Denominational ministry team organizes
- News briefs - February, 2010
- What's next for African-American Mennonites?
- Mennonite army major a misnomer
- Peter Dyck leaves legacy of service
- Children work alongside Mennonite youth
- Mennonite Olympian has a heart of gold
- MEDA sees peace dividend in youth program
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de Marzo, 2010!
- Educación Menonita para nuestros jóvenes
- IBA entrena tutores en Harrisonburg, VA
- Los Tutores de IBA se reunieron en Aibonito, PR
- La Junta de Directores de MEA se reúne
- Ya viene el censo ¡Hágase contar!
- Historia Misional en Argentina
- Una meditación bíblica ...
- De nuestros lectores y colaboradores - 2ª parte
- A pastor's plan
- Hearts broken and exalted
- Becoming e-families but not bodies in vats
- First things first
- Buying stuff for your avatar
- Almost Mennonite
- The young adult effect
- Thinking clearly about abortion, again