Resources - March, 2010by Gordon Houser
Hunger and Happiness: Feeding the Hungry, Nourishing Our Souls by L. Shannon Jung (Augsburg Books, 2009, $15.99) exposes the atrocities of a global food system whereby the affluent "feed" at the expense of others. It explores how complicity in the hunger of others contributes to the “spiritual malnourishment” of the well-fed.
A Common Word: Muslims and Christians on Loving God and Neighbor by Miroslav Volf, Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad bin Talal and Melissa Yarrington (Eerdmans, 2010, $14) includes an open letter from 2007 that Muslim leaders issued to Christian leaders inviting cooperation as a step toward peace. That letter and a collaborative Christian response appear in this book. Building on those documents, this book also includes subsequent commentary and dialogue between Muslim and Christian scholars and represents a move toward harmony between two world religions so often seen to be at odds.
The New Yoder, edited by Peter Dula and Chris K. Huebner (Cascade Books, 2010, $39), collects 15 essays from a new generation of scholars, including J. Alexander Sider, Alain Epp Weaver, Gerald W. Schlabach and Joseph R. Wiebe, who interact with the work of Mennonite theologian John Howard Yoder.
To Hear the Word by John Howard Yoder (Cascade Books, 2010, $29) is a new edition of Yoder's work on biblical interpretation and theology. This corrected edition includes a foreword by Michael J. Gorman, three new chapters and an appendix.
As Resident Aliens: Christian Peacemaker Teams in the West Bank, 1995-2005 by Kathleen Kern (Cascade Books, 2010, $41) charts the growth of CPT in Palestine, how it adapted to changing political conditions, spread to locations outside Hebron and developed networks with activists throughout Palestine and Israel.
Before and After by Carrie Newcomer (Audio CD, 2010, $14.98) is a multilayered work that invites the listener to slow down and reflect on the experiences that have changed and shaped our lives. Order from www.rounder.com.
The Nature of Grief: Photographs and Words for Reflection and Healing by Rebecca S. Hauder ($14.99) presents inspiring nature photographs she has taken, fitting quotes and helpful suggestions for healing after loss. Order from www.resourcesforgrief.com.
- Whispers of resurrection
- Up, out, down
- A paracosmic Millennium
- The Word in worship
- God's realm in and among us
- In March
- The cost of medicines
- My testimony
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- MC USA receives $3 million surprise
- Web exclusive: John Howard Yoder's 'irresponsibility'?
- MMA to change name
- MCC leaders respond to MC USA moderator
- Review: Avatar lays groundwork for peaceful solutions
- Franconia's plan to dismiss staff on hold
- Moderator questions MCC
- CPT founding director Gene Stoltzfus dies
- Goshen College announces plans for national anthem's implementation
- Mennonite providers get update on health-care legislation
- Mennonite artist creates icons
- A nurse describes her two weeks in Haiti
- News Briefs - March 2010
- Festival celebrates 300 years in Lancaster
- Burkholder's dissertation 'all but banned'
- Brenneman calls for new 'school of thought'
- Survey: more women in leadership but still not enough
- MDS trailer stolen Jan. 5, worth over $10,000
- Resources - March, 2010
- Births and Marriages - 2010
- Inattention blindness
- Living the in-between
- Tenderly name others
- God's avatar
- Developing leadership for the church
- 'They seek a city'
- Ceaseless generosity
- First things first: Seek God's wisdom
- Lent reorients us
- How could they do such a thing?
- How justify special privileges?
- Ethnicity should be celebrated
- Jesus did not know everything
- Saddened by national anthem
- Be careful about our beliefs
- Latent dynamics gone
- Lacks spirit of unity
- Time to get behind Stutzman
- Richly blessed by every article