Lacks spirit of unityby Suzanne Horner, West Liberty, Ohio
I was encouraged by three articles in the January issue, with a vision of new energy and unity for Mennonite Church USA. Janet Trevino-Elizarraraz asked Germanic Mennonites to "present a living faith divorced from their ethnicity." Jim Schrag was quoted in reference to our missional calling, “It takes us from our history of separation ... toward engagement with the world.” Ervin Stutzman said, "We would be a much stronger church if we recognized the strengths that our diversity brings."
Then my hopes were shattered with Everett Thomas' editorial that called us to remember our pre-merger differences. Did he actually imply that former General Conference individuals should constitute a minority of leadership because only 25 percent of Mennonite Church USA members were former GCs? That we should look forward to Stutzman's leadership because he brings memories from old Mennonite culture? The editorial comments lacked the spirit of unity and forward-thinking reflected in the other articles.
Associated Issue: New director begins - January, 2010
Associated Article: Turning the page
- Whispers of resurrection
- Up, out, down
- A paracosmic Millennium
- The Word in worship
- God's realm in and among us
- In March
- The cost of medicines
- My testimony
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- MC USA receives $3 million surprise
- Web exclusive: John Howard Yoder's 'irresponsibility'?
- MMA to change name
- MCC leaders respond to MC USA moderator
- Review: Avatar lays groundwork for peaceful solutions
- Franconia's plan to dismiss staff on hold
- Moderator questions MCC
- CPT founding director Gene Stoltzfus dies
- Goshen College announces plans for national anthem's implementation
- Mennonite providers get update on health-care legislation
- Mennonite artist creates icons
- A nurse describes her two weeks in Haiti
- News Briefs - March 2010
- Festival celebrates 300 years in Lancaster
- Burkholder's dissertation 'all but banned'
- Brenneman calls for new 'school of thought'
- Survey: more women in leadership but still not enough
- MDS trailer stolen Jan. 5, worth over $10,000
- Resources - March, 2010
- Births and Marriages - 2010
- Inattention blindness
- Living the in-between
- Tenderly name others
- God's avatar
- Developing leadership for the church
- 'They seek a city'
- Ceaseless generosity
- First things first: Seek God's wisdom
- Lent reorients us
- How could they do such a thing?
- How justify special privileges?
- Ethnicity should be celebrated
- Jesus did not know everything
- Saddened by national anthem
- Be careful about our beliefs
- Latent dynamics gone
- Lacks spirit of unity
- Time to get behind Stutzman
- Richly blessed by every article