The curved cross
Poetryby Various authors
It looks like a stick man
or Gumby doing push-ups
on the wall.
It has the warm comfort
of caramel candy,
of outstretched arms.
It's a Mennonite icon,
the shape of increased agony,
the Christmas tree of holy folly,
the empty tree.
It has all eyes on it—
with wood of Birds-eye Maple.
What message does the Spirit press
through that veneer?
Behind the cross of Jesus
is a kaleidoscope of colors,
of cast away cans.
Theres an illusion
but it's actually light.
The community sees it
from every angle. I see
the keel and rib
of a ship. Or an anchor.
The shadow of angel wings
could be a delta-winged plane
diving down to earth.
"You down there,
This collaborative poem (with photograph) is by "The Grandparents" small group at First Mennonite Church of Indianapolis. The artwork is by Derrick Method.
- Organizor extraordinaire for God
- The curved cross
- Ambassadors of reconciliation
- Special needs, special abilities
- The bus ride
- What brings you to convention?
- Pittsburgh 2011: What to know
- Mennonite Historical Committee: Celebrating 100 years of history
- Reflections from Columbus 2009
- Pittsburgh 2011 youth gathering
- Pittsburgh 2011 children's and junior youth gatherings
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- Workers report from Japan
- Goshen College radio station named best college station in the nation
- Japanese Anabaptist churches safe, but communications cut to one house church
- Prosecutor says rape did not happen
- Mission Network workers, associates safe in Japan
- Third Way Cafe traffic spikes after press conference
- A test or a 'city of God' moment?
- MC USA leaders stand against Indiana immigration bill
- MC USA agencies resist Indiana bill
- The Corinthian Plan's first year is a success
- MDS cuts budget to reflect new realities, original vision
- Young leaders launch new network
- Institutions are returning to the church
- Convention 2011 goes green
- German young adults serve in the United States
- Carolyn Heggen new Sister Care co-facilitator
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de Marzo, 2011!
- Educación: una inversión sabia
- Orientación de SeBAH para CoB
- Luz del Evangelio crece y construye
- Conferencia Femenil de la IMH
- IDA es recibida por la Conferencia
- Nuevo templo para Arca de Salvación
- ¿Pittsburg 2011? ¡Allí vamos!!!
- ECAP en busca de co-director
- Del doctor Nuñez ... Conclusión de la serie
- Editing history to make it nicer
- Help for Sudan's Christians
- Take the leap
- Investing in Hope: Hope = trouble + grace
- An exemplary discernment process
- A year of surprises
- A sense of belonging
- The 'good old days'
- March film and book reviews
Births and Marriages
- Thanks for Sharon's faithfulness
- It's Calvinism, not Anabaptism
- Wrong name
- Thank you, Martha
- Let us not further divide ourselves
- Some history should be grieved
- Changed by experience
- Mennonites and alcohol