April 2011 film and book reviewsby Gordon Houser
Another Year (PG-13) follows a married couple in London who manages to remain happy into their autumn years while surrounded over the course of the four seasons of an average year by friends, colleagues and family who suffer unhappiness and loneliness. How refreshing to see ordinary life portrayed with plain-looking characters (no pretty faces)! Lesley Manville is particularly outstanding in this poignant film from Mike Leigh.—Gordon Houser
Two new prayer books offer help to those interested in Christian daily prayer. Take Our Moments and Our Days, Volume 2: An Anabaptist Prayer Book Advent through Pentecost, compiled by Arthur Paul Boers, Barbara Nelson Gingerich, Eleanor Kreider, John D. Rempel and Mary H. Schertz (Herald Press, 2010, $34.99) This second volume is for the seasons of the Christian year (Advent through Pentecost). It gives priority to Jesus’ words and includes helpful notes for how to use it. Unlike some, it includes hymn suggestions and emphasizes communal reflection on Scripture, though it can be used for individual prayer as well. Common Prayer: ALiturgy for Ordinary Radicals by Shane Claiborne, Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove and Enuma Okoro (Zondervan, 2010, $24.99) is larger and includes more explanatory features. It also covers the entire church year and includes a theme for each month plus notes from Christian history with many of the days.—gh
Seasoned with Peace Spring, compiled by Susan Mark Landis, Lisa J. Amstutz and Cindy Snider (2011, $15.95) is the second such collection of devotions, poems, pictures and recipes for each day (April-June) to encourage peacemakers.—gh
- A woman of wisdom and grace
- Bodies matter
- Do you understand what I have done for you?
- Journey to the cross
- Testing or sharing a 'city of God' moment?
- Journey into the dark
- Marks of a new creation
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- Russ Eanes to head MennoMedia
- Staff changes in Mennonite Church USA
- Executive Board confronts funding troubles
- Mennonite Church Canada cuts staff
- Price tag of a future: $32,475
- Groups help each other with convention expenses
- Spaulding dismissed from worship council
- Photo contest winners announced
- Conference leaders deal with differences
- 'Pittsburgh Experiment' may mean few resolutions
- Protesting in Madison and the reign of God
- Mennonite Health Assembly draws 270
- Bylaws of Mennonite Church USA
- Mennonites celebrate World Fellowship Sunday
- MVSers say program builds confidence
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de Abril, 2011!
- Educación: ¿Cuál escuela es mejor para tí?
- Orientación de SeBAH para CoB en California
- Las Juntas se reúnen en Fort Myers
- Adultos Escuela Dominical ¡Atención!
- Conferencia Femenil de la IMH 2011
- Consulta de MPN en Los Angeles
- En contra de las leyes anti-inmigrantes
- ¿Pittsburg 2011? ¡Allí vamos!!!!
- Reflexión Pastoral - Abril 2011
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de Mayo, 2011!
- Educación: ¿Cómo la pagamos?
- Educación Continuada 2011
- Taller de IBA en Apopka, FL
- Viene el Retiro Estudiantes IBA 2011
- IBA en Aurora, OR
- ¿Hay alguien escuchando ... ?
- Conferencia Femenil de la IMH ...
- ¿Pittsburgh 2011? ¡Allí vamos! - El Día de pastores
- **Día "Somos la Iglesia"
- Desenmascarando la falsedad
- Un diverso CLC se reúne en Archbold
- Del Dr. Nuñez ...
- Sheeplike love
- The whole Mennonite singing thing
- We need each other
- Prayers and Lies
- Investing in hope: The hope of our calling
- A conscientious-objectors-to-war-taxes proposal
- What makes us a church?
- Good schools for everyone
- April 2011 film and book reviews
Births and Marriages
- Church leaders promote injustice
- Better convention locations
- Winery in Virginia
- Mennonites and alcohol