Poetryby Joanne Lehman
Our music bleeds close harmonies
stretching into each ancient symbol—
the precious lamb of God, drink and bread,
the substance of our sacred rite.
My throat is loose, pure vowels,
crisp consonants grow bold in these old hymns
gone wild with low chromatic scales,
dissonance held and then resolved.
Tenors match sopranos, depart and blend again.
We are a community of images and sounds—
allusions to a grace we think we know.
Each candle is slowly snuffed;
we hear again the dark and mystic words.
I rise to sing and then recall the
movement of my neighbor's sheep,
the bleating cries of mothers
with their young. How last week I watched
the wobbly gait of small black twins as
they stumbled forward into brownish pastures.
Before our last rehearsal
the new lambs are taken to the auction barn—
for the Easter lamb sale—
(except for the lame one, rolled on by his mother
after his unattended birth in a winter stall).
My neighbor tells it simply, as if her words confer
a remnant of dignity. She, who might hold
mercy like the shreds of hay she offered them,
or pardon in her buckets of grain.
They're Easter lambs, these innocents of hers.
We know the story well, about their blood,
Take it as a sign, taste the bitter herb,
egg and salt, unleavened bread.
Joanne Lehman is a member of Kidron (Ohio) Mennonite Church.
- A woman of wisdom and grace
- Bodies matter
- Do you understand what I have done for you?
- Journey to the cross
- Testing or sharing a 'city of God' moment?
- Journey into the dark
- Marks of a new creation
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- Russ Eanes to head MennoMedia
- Staff changes in Mennonite Church USA
- Executive Board confronts funding troubles
- Mennonite Church Canada cuts staff
- Price tag of a future: $32,475
- Groups help each other with convention expenses
- Spaulding dismissed from worship council
- Photo contest winners announced
- Conference leaders deal with differences
- 'Pittsburgh Experiment' may mean few resolutions
- Protesting in Madison and the reign of God
- Mennonite Health Assembly draws 270
- Bylaws of Mennonite Church USA
- Mennonites celebrate World Fellowship Sunday
- MVSers say program builds confidence
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de Abril, 2011!
- Educación: ¿Cuál escuela es mejor para tí?
- Orientación de SeBAH para CoB en California
- Las Juntas se reúnen en Fort Myers
- Adultos Escuela Dominical ¡Atención!
- Conferencia Femenil de la IMH 2011
- Consulta de MPN en Los Angeles
- En contra de las leyes anti-inmigrantes
- ¿Pittsburg 2011? ¡Allí vamos!!!!
- Reflexión Pastoral - Abril 2011
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de Mayo, 2011!
- Educación: ¿Cómo la pagamos?
- Educación Continuada 2011
- Taller de IBA en Apopka, FL
- Viene el Retiro Estudiantes IBA 2011
- IBA en Aurora, OR
- ¿Hay alguien escuchando ... ?
- Conferencia Femenil de la IMH ...
- ¿Pittsburgh 2011? ¡Allí vamos! - El Día de pastores
- **Día "Somos la Iglesia"
- Desenmascarando la falsedad
- Un diverso CLC se reúne en Archbold
- Del Dr. Nuñez ...
- Sheeplike love
- The whole Mennonite singing thing
- We need each other
- Prayers and Lies
- Investing in hope: The hope of our calling
- A conscientious-objectors-to-war-taxes proposal
- What makes us a church?
- Good schools for everyone
- April 2011 film and book reviews
Births and Marriages
- Church leaders promote injustice
- Better convention locations
- Winery in Virginia
- Mennonites and alcohol