For the Ordination of Minister Addie Sanders Banks
Poemby Barbara Bethea, aka Afrikana Madonna
I commend unto you, Addie,
a woman who walks by faith,
who hearkens to the word of God,
whose life is saved by Grace.
This day a celebration
for all good works she’s done,
for the harvest is ripe with labor,
for the countless souls she has won,
for the effectual fervent prayers,
for the ministering to those in need.
We salute this woman of God,
for her labor and good deeds.
For knowing when to abase, abound,
for a meek and humble spirit,
for being a vessel used, empowered
by God’s word as she hears it.
A woman with a vision
to build walls torn down by sin,
for offering her life in service,
ushering the spirit of love within.
Now consider with me Mary’s life
The mother of our Lord and Savior
The challenges she had to face
with humility and sound behavior.
To heed the unction of God’s word
as unto her was spoken,
In the face of fear and doubt
to stand on promises, unbroken.
Consider with me, Hagar
Cast out, forsaken, no place to dwell,
wandering through a wilderness
yet God opened her eyes to a well.
Ruth followed Naomi,
Declared your God willwould be mine
Esther saved her people
Rahab, placed in the royal blood line.epies
Lydia, a seller of purple
Whose heart the Lord had opened
whose household became obedient
attended to things by Paul were spoken.
The Daughters of Zelophehad
gained an inheritance through the Lord
The spirit of their testimony
was written into law
See God has used women in service
to implement His will
by which great things have happened
and His purpose has been fulfilled.
Our minister and sister
embodies these character traits.
Strength and honor are her clothing
as she watches daily at God’s gates.
Minister Addie Banks stands before us,
a servant ordained by God,
endued with the fruits of the Spirit,
baptized, in-filled and blood-washed..
I commend unto you, Addie,
Our sister in the Lord,
that we continue to assist her,
in the charge of which she’s called.
May we greet her with thanksgiving,
May we stand with her in love
when the storms or tides are risen
may we anchor her with the word.
May we pray and seek God’s power
in all that she has need of.
May we promise to uphold her
With respect, support and love.
The Lord bless you and keep you
This day and forevermore.
The Lord make his face shine upon you
Peace over all you are purposed and called.
The Lord lift up His face to you,
keep you in perfect peace
May you prosper abundantly,
may your territory be increased
Now unto Him who is able
to keep us all from falling
Minister Addie Banks, we charge thee
go forth boldly in God’s calling.
Submitted in Love, for the Ordination of Minister Addie Banks
Copyright June 18, 2011 by Afrikana Madonna, poetess
- 10 years later ...
- Q & A: Dorothy and John
- To obey or not to obey
- A witness to war
- The power of nonshootout
- Love the church
- Stewards of grace
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- EMM board appoints Nelson Okanya as new president
- Digital bridge at Pittsburgh increases participation by 42 percent
- Theologian Gordon Kaufman dies at 86
- Kidron pastor threatened with note and nooses
- Pittsburgh Mayor still talking
- Opinion: Confessions of a white anti-racist
- MC USA funding system not working
- Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship launches
- Conversation rooms help to build a strong convention bridge
- Pittsburgh 2011 delegates decide to experiment
- Children collect money for day care
- When bridges lead to a 'new creation'
- Q&A between young adults and Executive Board
- Film provokes discussion of immigration
- Gospel challenge: 'Be all you can be'
- Pink Mennos focus on healing and hope
- Ted Swartz reconciles loss of acting partner
- Hipps calls for reconciliation over promoting justice or purity
- Executive Board hears immigration concerns
- Banks first Mennonite woman ordained in NYC in 100 years
- DNA connects Swiss, Puerto Rican Mennonites
- Unflagging patriotism
- For the Ordination of Minister Addie Sanders Banks
- Fewer churches leaving Mennonite Church USA
- Second accident for Bluffton bus accident survivor
- 'Peace Pastor' blog reaches thousands
- Noticed and welcomed or invisible and lonely?
- South African elder celebrates learning
- Endowment to expand pastoral development
- Official account of Spaulding dismissal
- MCC Binational to disband in 2012
- Mennonites speak at peace convocation
- Especial de Meno Acontecer Julio 18, 2011
- Iglesia Menonita Hispana - Julio
- AMBS busca registrador académico
- Proyecto La Voz
- Pittsburgh 2011
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de Agosto, 2011!
- Joven ¿esperanza, futuro, educación?
- Retiro anual de estudiantes de IBA - Septiembre
- Conferencia Femenil Hispana Menonita
- Educación Continuada 2011 ...
- Recursos de estudio para la congregación
- Nuevo recurso de Dionisio Byler
- Reflexión pastoral - Agosto
- Del Dr. Nuñez
- Our good idols
- Investing in hope: Desolation and consolation
- Death makes me angry
- Christian mission is not exotic
- Freedom Riders remind us of racism
- There is a time for departure
- The Pittsburgh experiment
- July book and film reviews
- Determination and perseverance
- Pink Mennos and conventions
- Pink Mennos and conventions II
- Pink Mennos and conventions III
- Spaulding dismissal
- Spaulding dismissal II
- Supports Spaulding dismissal
- Mennonites pay for war
- Gets choked up, too
- Subscript, not superscript
- Thanks for MPH story