Gifts of healing for today
New Voices: By and about young adultsby Janet Trevino-Elizarraraz
A year ago on the night of our anniversary, Roberto, my husband, and I, after over a year of struggle and tension, finally experienced a shift in our relationship. That evening a miracle occurred. Not only did we experience a healing union but also, and more importantly, God showed up.
The night began with Roberto approaching me with pain in his upper shoulder, and out of desperation he asked for my help. I invited him to lie down, and what came next was unlike anything I had heard or read about in any church or theology class.
When my husband came to me in pain, I used some basic knowledge of chakras, energy centers in the body, to verbally guide him into entering that space in his body and to bring up an image of what he saw there. Within minutes, he began to guide his own healing and sensed serious shifts and clearing from within.
He could hear from God directly, and he wept. I sat in amazement. Was this really happening in front of me and to us? Soon he asked for permission to sense what my body was holding, and he held his hand out without touching me. He could not only sense the intense energy but had knowledge of its meaning: anger, irritation and frustration, beginning from the right-hand side of my rib cage, to the center and down my body.
Six months later, I had my first gallbladder attack and soon discovered I was full of parasites. God had spoken truth of my weakness before I experienced it physically.
Months later, my friend Crista suddenly became ill one afternoon in her home. Because of my personal experience with Roberto’s ability, I ventured into this practice as well. I put my hand out without touching her in the location of her pain. I could physically feel as if the skin on my hand was being peeled away from me. This was my first experience with this energy.
What is this, and why haven’t Christians spoken about this? I asked myself. What is this called? The gifts of the Spirit include healing, but soon I understood that coupled with silence and concentration one can feel the energy and heat radiating from our bodies without ever touching the person. This can guide us into understanding the roots of disease and pain and finding healing and deliverance.
One afternoon I had a young guest in my home, and Crista was present. My guest was hurting beyond what she was willing to express, and I asked for permission to guide my hand around her torso. I invited Crista to come over and “feel” this, believing she didn’t know much about sensing energy, and within minutes, intuitively, she moved her hands in a pulling motion, as if she were pulling something out of her body without even touching her, and our young friend found relief. Taking advantage of the situation, I had a slight headache and asked her to do the same for me. She did, and it eased.
In the stories of Roberto and Crista, I see at least two different, God-given, spiritual gifts present. In one is the gift of knowledge that God communicates through physical, bodily energy, and the other may be real spiritual/emotional/physical healing. Other gifts may be present within this practice, and I trust that above all, Christ is lifted up, and his body is healed.
Upon biblical reflection, I now understand the connection Jesus had to the energetic well-being of those around him and how his healings are not lost with his departure to the Father. They are for us today. Thanks to the Spirit within us, greater works are before us.
The closest name for this practice we’ve discovered is Reiki. While none of us has pursued Reiki instruction as of yet, learning it through prayer and mediation with the Spirit has changed the way we now pray for ourselves and for others.
I invite you to explore and listen to your body and the bodies of your loved ones. Our bodies are crying out for healing, for God. God is talking. Are you listening? “Ask and you shall receive.” “If any of you lack wisdom, ask.” The Spirit is moving and inviting you to her work.
- Holy restlessness leads to home in Christ
- Three ways to God
- Bearing witness to our missional God
- Why did Jesus say so much about hell?
- A day care in Bolivia
- Losing our wattage
- Resources - June
- The mainstream media addresses Christianity
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- Former principal Geyer admits guilt
- Plans for Anabaptist Chair at Fuller continue
- Phoenix church members build home after fire
- MC USA executive committee responds to same-sex unions
- Committee makes two-part decision after three same-sex unions
- Retirement communities to feel more like home
- Mennonite teens and the Hunger Games
- Church responds to hunger for conversations
- Mennonite schools hold commencements
- News Briefs - June 2012
- 200 years since the War of 1812
- Decades of conversation about persecution
- From student to supervisor
- Should we update Martyrs Mirror?
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de Junio, 2012!
- Dar y recibir
- Nuevos centros de IBA
- IBA Taller sobre dones espirituales
- Graduaciones de IBA en Puerto Rico
- IMH se reúne
- Iniciativa Menonita Hispana
- AMBS busca personal - 2012
- Reflexionemos …
- Del Dr. Nuñez - Junio 2012
- Reflexión pastoral - Agosto 2012
- Sitios Hispanos Menonitas en el Internet: Mayo 2013
- 200 years later
- Gifts of healing for today
- Up to $300 … anyone?
- Purposeful Plan needs an eighth priority
- Does Facebook make us lonely?
- Signposts: A self-giving community
- June film and book reviews
- 'Foster care' as we await full adoption
- Clarifications from Tillie's sister
- Reconciliation, not sacrifice
- Where is authority?
- Mission worker raises own support
- Don't dismiss second coming