MC USA executive committee responds to same-sex unionsby Everett J. Thomas
The executive committee of the Executive Board has responded to same-sex covenanting ceremonies performed by pastors in Illinois and Kansas in the past year. In a letter on June 14, the committee made clear that such ceremonies are not congruent with Confession of Faith in a Mennonite Perspective.
“The board owns the understanding of our confession of faith that sexual union is to happen between one man and one woman who are committed to each other for life in holy marriage,” the letter said. “The board has no plans to suggest that the church should change its current understanding and commitments.”
The letter also said that the Executive Board cannot intervene in decisions area conferences are making in response to pastors performing same-sex covenanting ceremonies.
“The national church does not have the authority to control the discussion or decisions at [congregation and area conference] levels,” the letter said. “Congregations decide on their members and conferences decide on member congregations. Ministerial credentials are held at the conference level and thus minister’s accountability is to the area conference rather than the national conference. We are aware that our polity creates some differences in the practice of church discipline from conference to conference.”
In 2011, Western District Conference pastor Joanna Harader performed a same-sex covenanting ceremony. Since Illinois made same-sex unions legal on July 1, 2011, Central District pastor Megan Ramer has performed three such ceremonies.
The Executive Board’s executive committee includes: Dick Thomas, moderator; Elizabeth Soto, moderator-elect; Addie Banks; David Boshart; Patricia Shelly; and Ervin Stutzman, executive director. Click here to read the June 13 letter.
- Holy restlessness leads to home in Christ
- Three ways to God
- Bearing witness to our missional God
- Why did Jesus say so much about hell?
- A day care in Bolivia
- Losing our wattage
- Resources - June
- The mainstream media addresses Christianity
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- Former principal Geyer admits guilt
- Plans for Anabaptist Chair at Fuller continue
- Phoenix church members build home after fire
- MC USA executive committee responds to same-sex unions
- Committee makes two-part decision after three same-sex unions
- Retirement communities to feel more like home
- Mennonite teens and the Hunger Games
- Church responds to hunger for conversations
- Mennonite schools hold commencements
- News Briefs - June 2012
- 200 years since the War of 1812
- Decades of conversation about persecution
- From student to supervisor
- Should we update Martyrs Mirror?
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de Junio, 2012!
- Dar y recibir
- Nuevos centros de IBA
- IBA Taller sobre dones espirituales
- Graduaciones de IBA en Puerto Rico
- IMH se reúne
- Iniciativa Menonita Hispana
- AMBS busca personal - 2012
- Reflexionemos …
- Del Dr. Nuñez - Junio 2012
- Reflexión pastoral - Agosto 2012
- Sitios Hispanos Menonitas en el Internet: Mayo 2013
- 200 years later
- Gifts of healing for today
- Up to $300 … anyone?
- Purposeful Plan needs an eighth priority
- Does Facebook make us lonely?
- Signposts: A self-giving community
- June film and book reviews
- 'Foster care' as we await full adoption
- Clarifications from Tillie's sister
- Reconciliation, not sacrifice
- Where is authority?
- Mission worker raises own support
- Don't dismiss second coming