Resources - July 2012by Gordon Houser
Relics and Miracles: Two Theological Essays by Sergius Bulgakov, translated by Boris Jakim (Eerdmans, 2011, $24), presents two theological essays by a leading Russian Orthodox theologian. “On Holy Relics” is a 1918 response to Bolshevik desecration of the relics of Russian saints and connects them with the Incarnation. “On Gospel Miracles,” written in 1932, presents a Christological doctrine of miracles, focusing on how human activity relates to the works of Christ.
And God Spoke to Abraham: Preaching from the Old Testament by Fleming Rutledge (Eerdmans, 2011, $30) collects 60 sermons that expound on familiar Old Testament passages featuring Abraham, Samuel, David, Elijah, Job, Jonah and other figures. She applies these texts to contemporary life and theology.
Prophetic Evangelicals: Envisioning a Just and Peaceable Kingdom, edited by Bruce Ellis Benson, Malinda Elizabeth Berry and Peter Goodwin Heltzel (Eerdmans, 2012, $35), brings together 15 contributors who share their visions for a biblically centered, culturally engaged and historically infused evangelicalism.
Joshua: Believers Church Bible Commentary by Gordon H. Matties (Herald Press, 2012, $29.99) engages critically with texts that have been used to justify colonialism, conquest, occupation and ethnic cleansing. Matties suggests that reading Joshua carefully will open windows into how and why we read Scripture at all.
Relentless Goodbye: Grief and Love in the Shadow of Dementia by Ginnie Horst Burkholder (Herald Press, 2012, $16.99) shares about caring with humor, love, commitment and faith for a spouse who is slowly slipping away to Lewy body dementia.
Reformers, Radicals, Revolutionaries: Anabaptism in the Context of the Reformation Conflict by Abraham Friesen (Institute of Mennonite Studies, 2012, $20.95) distills the debate about “penance” and “repentance” with clarity and insight, demonstrating its significance for Anabaptist ecclesiology.
Gathering at God’s Table: The Meaning of Mission in the Feast of Faith by Katherine Jefferts Schori (SkyLight Paths, 2012, $21.99) explores the meaning of mission in the context of contemporary life: feeding, healing and teaching.
Fly-Fishing—the Sacred Art: Casting a Fly as a Spiritual Practice by Michael Attas and Eric Eisenkramer (SkyLight Paths, 2012, $21.99) shares what fly-fishing has to teach us about reflection, awe and the wonder of the natural world, the benefits of solitude, the blessing of community and the search for the Divine.
- Full circle
- The juvenilization of American Christianity
- Untamed tiger
- Christian patriots
- Who can stand against it?
- Simplistic gospel
- Never again
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- Geiser, partner killed in Afghanistan
- Michelle Armster on leadership, women and the church
- Phoenix 2013 less than one year away
- Theology and new social media
- Ash Creek Fire on Northern Cheyenne Reservation largely ignored
- WDC amends one resolution, tables another
- Survey shows Mennonite Church USA spread
- Wildfires near churches in Colorado, Montana
- Phoenix police chief responds to Supreme Court decision
- NEWS ANALYSIS: How are we doing as a peace church?
- Church gets surgery for woman with mouth tumor
- Feeding cattle for the church
- MDS ends seven-year recovery effort in New Orleans
- MWC looks for clarity about Anabaptist vision
- AMBS and Bethel complete graduations
- Pastoring in dangerous Bogotá neighborhood
- Lancaster, Pa., pilgrims visit Israel
- Swiss Anabaptist history still powerful
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de Julio, 2012!
- Opciones y desafíos
- Graduaciones Garífunas de IBA
- Ahora, IBA en Colorado Springs
- IMH, Recursos para su iglesia
- Estudios Bíblicos para Adultos
- Everence comunica
- Servicio gratuito de consejería sobre deudas
- Del Dr. Nuñez: AFECCIONES DIGESTIVAS ...
- Signposts: A diverse community
- Politics on Palm Sunday and today
- Menno warrior
- Books for instruction and inspiration
- Let's engage Love Wins wisely
- In praise of translators
- A balance of authority
- Loneliness and solitude
- July 2012 reviews
- Resources - July 2012
- Need nonconformity
- Tillie Yoder Nauraine
- Tillie Yoder Nauraine observations
- Handling divorce
- Sowing doubts about Confession