Survey shows Mennonite Church USA spread
MC USA members were more than 5 percent of population in nine counties.by Everett J. Thomas
A grant from the Lilly Endowment of Indianapolis allowed statisticians to count the number of adherents in U.S. Christian denominations in 2010. Funding for Buddhist and Hindu counts was provided by the John Templeton Foundation, West Conshohocken, Pa. A total of 236 faith groups were counted.
According to the results, released May 1 at the Associated Church Press convention in Chicago, Mennonite Church USA had 127,363 adherents in 2010. This is significantly higher than the 109,000 members listed on the Mennonite Church USA website. However, the 2010 count reports 919 congregations, while the Mennonite Church USA site currently lists 939 congregations.
The website USReligionCensus.org offers maps for all groups. The 726-page paper report has 22 maps, including the one reproduced above. The survey was done by the Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies.
According to the report, the percentage of Mennonite Church USA adherents was more than 5 percent in nine counties (red counties in the map). These were Harper, Harvey, Marion and McPherson counties in Kansas; Henry and Washington counties in Iowa; Seward County, Neb.; Hutchinson County, S.D.; and Fulton County, Ohio. Harvey County, Kan., had the highest percentage in the country: its 4,339 adherents represented 22.5 percent of all adherents in that county and 12.5 percent of the county population.
Lancaster (Pa.) County had the largest number of Mennonite Church USA adherents with 15,225. This represented 6 percent of all adherents in the county and 2.9 percent of the county’s population.
Elkhart (Ind.) County had the second-largest number of Mennonite Church USA adherents with 8,409. This number represented 10.2 percent of all adherents and 4.3 percent of the county’s population.
- Full circle
- The juvenilization of American Christianity
- Untamed tiger
- Christian patriots
- Who can stand against it?
- Simplistic gospel
- Never again
News stories, digests and Meno Acontecer
- Geiser, partner killed in Afghanistan
- Michelle Armster on leadership, women and the church
- Phoenix 2013 less than one year away
- Theology and new social media
- Ash Creek Fire on Northern Cheyenne Reservation largely ignored
- WDC amends one resolution, tables another
- Survey shows Mennonite Church USA spread
- Wildfires near churches in Colorado, Montana
- Phoenix police chief responds to Supreme Court decision
- NEWS ANALYSIS: How are we doing as a peace church?
- Church gets surgery for woman with mouth tumor
- Feeding cattle for the church
- MDS ends seven-year recovery effort in New Orleans
- MWC looks for clarity about Anabaptist vision
- AMBS and Bethel complete graduations
- Pastoring in dangerous Bogotá neighborhood
- Lancaster, Pa., pilgrims visit Israel
- Swiss Anabaptist history still powerful
- ¡Bienvenidos al Meno Acontecer de Julio, 2012!
- Opciones y desafíos
- Graduaciones Garífunas de IBA
- Ahora, IBA en Colorado Springs
- IMH, Recursos para su iglesia
- Estudios Bíblicos para Adultos
- Everence comunica
- Servicio gratuito de consejería sobre deudas
- Del Dr. Nuñez: AFECCIONES DIGESTIVAS ...
- Signposts: A diverse community
- Politics on Palm Sunday and today
- Menno warrior
- Books for instruction and inspiration
- Let's engage Love Wins wisely
- In praise of translators
- A balance of authority
- Loneliness and solitude
- July 2012 reviews
- Resources - July 2012
- Need nonconformity
- Tillie Yoder Nauraine
- Tillie Yoder Nauraine observations
- Handling divorce
- Sowing doubts about Confession